Thursday, September 15, 2011

A Tippy Canoe and Canada Too

As soon as I finished "Eeny, Meeny, Miney, Mo -- and Still-Mo" I reached for the next book in the series "A Tippy Canoe and Canada Too," which Jonathan had recently completed. Again Campbell's tales of his neighbouring animal friends entertained me, along with the new young human friend he makes. But the parts I most enjoyed, all the pages I earmarked to write about, came during a canoe trip Campbell, his wife, Giny, and their solider friend, Sandy, took up to the Canadian lake region in the last half of the book. I could say more, but I think I'll just leave the book to do the talking.

Some of these quotes spoke to me, some made me ponder, and still others made me think in new ways. And a few of them I just plain loved.
"Sometimes we forget in our habits of living that insulation works both ways. The fine structure of homes that keeps out weather and temperature, keeps us in as well. Seldom can we think beyond our walls. The seething, natural world of winds and wild ways is pictured as a kind of enemy against which we must fortify ourselves. The thicker the walls the greater our protection -- but the deeper our confinement. One is nearer to nature in a house than in a great hotel. The separation is thinner still in a tent, where only a layer of cloth lies between us and the universe. Thought can filter through the warp and woof of the canvas and mingle with trees and stars. Sounds can come in. We get within speaking distance of nature in a tent. However, the feeling that we are 'a part of all our eyes behold' really comes when all invented dwellings are thrust aside, and we sleep under the star-studded canopy of heaven." (pp. 179-180)
"...but problems are purposeful because they offer the opportunity for triumph."
"Our minds were ready to receive great thoughts in such surroundings. One's wealth in this world is measured by his thinking."
"Whatever work a person does in life, his success really is rated by the character he has developed." (pp. 212 & 214)
"What a vast vault memory must be to take in such a volume of experiences and still offer room for as much more."
"In every way it surpassed our expectations, as reality always does." (p. 233)
"My inclination, after years of observation, is never to charge anything to chance in nature. It is all cause and effect. Intelligence, often of a higher order than what we call reasoning, guides the people of the forest. As a rule, I believe the best thing happens that could happen under each circumstance." (p. 237)
"When beauty reaches such heights there isn't really anything to say -- you just have to look and love." (p. 242)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, man, those are lovely, lovely quotes. I want to sit and ponder them over a cup of tea. I'm glad you've discovered this series.

    ReplyDelete