Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Murder of Bindy Mackenzie

This teen flick is set in Australia, which I think is pretty cool. It's written as a collection of journal entries/musings/assignments, sort of like Love That Dog, which I also think is pretty cool. It was written by Jaclyn Moriarty, which is very, very cool indeed.

(Why are you still reading this? MORIARTY IS A WOMAN, AND SHE WROTE THIS BOOK! GO GET A COPY NOW! )

Still reading? Okay, then. It's about a girl who is extreme. She is the best at everything, lives in the 99th percentile (there IS no 100th percentile), and is just generally superlative. The other characters are pretty much typical teenagers.

The story tells what happens when Bindy finds herself part of a FAD ("Friendship and Development") class-- something new the administration has added this year (led by a tiny teacher named "Try"). This is difficult for her because she doesn't exactly have what people would call "friends." So she gets to know a bunch of people, intensely dislikes them, and hijinks ensue.

I'm not really giving this story enough credit. I liked it. The ending was not typical (did I mention that MORIARTY wrote it?). I'd tell you more, but I think you should go read it for yourself.


2 comments:

  1. Here's the problem: Only people who are well into the 90th percentile OF the 99th percentile can write books that are actually about the 99th percentile. Otherwise it just comes off fake and unintelligent. See Wrinkle in Time, which will be posted here just as soon as I write the annotated bibliography for my class tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. . . . so where is it?

    You're right about the whole fake/unintelligent thing. This book suffered from that a little, but not as much as I feared it would. It does a pretty good job of spiraling into insanity . . .

    Like Moriarty.

    Oh no.

    ReplyDelete